Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Five Stages of Paperwriting (And a Few Challenges Along the Way...)


The idea for this came up while I was (and still potentially am) in a particular stage:

1. Procrastination: "I have plenty of time for this paper!  No need to write it now!" See also: denial.
2. Panic: "Crap, I have no idea what I'm doing!"
3. Insanity: *searches frantically for anything possible to use for this paper*
4. Adrenaline:  The real productivity, usually the night before the paper is due
5. Crash: The loopiness once the paper is submitted.

As I suspect you can tell, I'm still in the second (and third) stage of paper writing.  I am really nervous about this paper.  I have a compulsive need to finish papers early... except that I haven't even started writing this one yet.  Sure, I have some ideas, but I have no tangible proof that I've done anything.  No drafts, no outlines, not even any documents of cohesive notes.  (I know what you're all going to say - that it's only Sunday night, and I have another five days to write this paper.)

Let's start with the rant of primary sources.  I don't hate primary sources - they are crucial for our own interpretation.  What I don't like, however, is that the nine volume series of letters HAS NO INDEX.  None whatsoever.  Gordon S. Haight, do you honestly expect me to read through the entire volume of letters to come up with anything (actually, not that much...)?  Apparently.  Do you realize that I'm a college student trying to write a paper in five days along with other life events, like classes, work, and sleep?  Apparently not.

Also frustrating is the lack of relevant information in my primary sources at all.  I can't find any mention of her and Isaac as children in any letters.  I also can't find much pertaining to their relationship at all.

Finally, more of a question than a rant or grumble: is there a "right" combination of sources (primary and secondary), text, and our own interpretation for this paper?  I don't expect anything along the lines of a magic formula, but I'm not entirely sure how to put this paper together.  

Okay, I'm done ranting.  I'll try to be less obnoxious in the future.  Have a lovely few days before class, and good luck to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment